Sunday, February 26, 2012

Where can I get an electric shocking toy made from a wooden box and metal rod, that plugs into a wall socket?

When I was a kid, my friends dad had this strange toy. It was a rectangular wooden box, about 8" X 3" X 3". It the end was a metal pin than ran the length of the contraption. An electrical plug came out the other side. The further you pulled the pin out of the box the more voltage you felt run up your arm, until it was hard to pull it at all.|||Lawsuit city - no one would market such a thing today. Would have to have a highly current limited high voltage variable transformer inside to even begin to be safe to touch.|||Too dangerous! At least, these days it would be considered dangerous.


I had one as a kid also, but it was battery operated, and had a vibrator to produce the interruption. I hooked up quite a lot! I am sure it has put me in good stead on the odd occasions I have received shocks in my life, in preparing me for what to expect.


It was indeed a well built thing, a cedar wood box with the coil in it, the vibrator on one end energised by the primary circuit. The rod was a brass tube with a bakelite knob, and the handpieces were also brass with bakelite knobs, connected to the machine by cotton- covered conductors. I think it would have been built somewhere around the 2nd war, or even earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment