Thursday, February 23, 2012

I have a 9 month old lab, and I want to buy a toy breed soon. Is it safe to pair these together?

My 9 month old chocolate labrador is the sweetest, friendliest dog! I really want to get a second dog, and give him a companion, but I cannot handle another large breed. I am interested in a toy like a maltese, or a hybrid like a morkie or a maltipom. First, I need to know if this will cause any jealousy for my lab. Second, is it safe for a small dog to be paired with a large one?|||It's not advisable to get a new dog, Your lab is still on it's developing stages so it's better off to get one when it is mature on to 1year and 6months old., Or you'll be asking for a lot of problems.|||I think that that would work but I'm not sure if your worried about breeding or jelousy.On jelousy I would treat them the same ammount of love.|||Lab puppies are not especially graceful, and Maltese are small and fragile. You could get lucky and have nothing happen to the small dog, or you could have the lab trip and land on the Maltese and break a bone or worse.





I have no idea about the other two. They are not hybrids, they are over priced mutts. I presume they are some sort of "designer breeds" which means they will be poorly bred and probably even more frail than a Maltese. Plus sickly and not well socialized.





Consider a sturdy small dog like a terrier.|||No this would probably not be a good idea because of jealsouy and the fact that the other dog might hurt the small one|||I would wait until the dog was like 1 and a half, and make sure it's trained!





my dog can get jealous but still playful tword them. it depends on the personality of your dog.|||since its very friendly, im sure it would be okay...just be on the look-out and see if they start to seriously fight...its okay for them to play~it may look like fighting~ but when they actually fight, its much worse....make them play gentle|||Yikes No I would not recomend this with a lab for sure they are known for protecting whats there's and there loyalty to people not to other dogs!!! It really depends on your lab not advisible your dog will probaly get very jelous or even depressed so if you do I would be very careful and to be honest i raise and breed labs and the best companion for a lab is another lab really but I would definatly wait at least another year or so!!!! if you are going to try a small dog and see what you think you lab will be able to handle you might change your mind in six months your lab WILL change!! So beware if you try to do this sooner!!!|||I had a very old lab when I got the love of my life(Parker) who is a shihpoo(shihtzu poodle) and my lab Barney was completely fine with it.








A younger dog will most likely adjust very well to another pup, probably better if you got one of the opposite sex though. The only thing you really have to worry about is the lab hurting the little one, dogs dont recognize size so he will want to play rough like a puppy. You would just have to monitor them. You would also want to establish dominance, seeing as the lab is a boy he would be the dominant one. You do this by making him first-first to get a treat, first to be praised, etc. It wont hurt the little one's feelings or anything, you would give them equal attention overall.|||I have had two labs and we got smaller dogs with them. They were a little older than 9 months but that's pretty young and the dog should adjust easily.





Labs are quite friendly, my black lab went into momma mode when we brought home a puppy.





the lab will probably establish rank as the alpha but thats normal to have a few snips or scuffles until everyone settles in.





I think it will work out fine, labs are great, still my favorite breed out of all the ones I know!|||I have a German Shepard that just tuned a year, a Pomeranian that is 8 months and they grew up together just fine. Just need to keep and eye when they play due to size difference. I also have a 2 yr. old Pom and a Rat Terrier.|||yes labs r good wit all animALS

No comments:

Post a Comment